Saturday, February 26, 2011

Big Name, Big Price Tag

Grey Hunter

Hey all, I got a question for all you players out there. Do you really need a big name to consistently win?

I haven't spent any time in tournaments (yet :-)) but I think I'm pretty good at building armies, and my win percentage is well over 50%. Being an old-school curmudgeon, and all around cheap***, I can never bring myself to spend the points on a big-name character. Now I know Njal rock's, but he is such a target that he is just too expensive to make up for the two lower profile Rune Priests that I can field instead.

The Mighty Tempest(Rune Priest)

I mean I can see how Ragnar's additional attacks and furious charge can be devastating, but I can't see spending as much as it would cost me for Wolf Priest AND a 10 pack of Grey Hunters! Now I can see building the Logan Grimnar giving relentless to some MM long fangs, or a whole list of Wolf guard with combimelta's, but this seems more like a trick list and a one trick pony at that.

Wolf Scout

Am I the only one out here? Are there advantages that I'm just not seeing? What are you guys seeing out on the tournament scene? I am hoping to enter that scene soon, as long as her wrist surgery goes well, may the Emperor watch over me.


Now I will admit that I prefer a large number of ninjas, as opposed to betting on one soopa ninja. I like a lot of bodies on my side of the board. Not so much an orky horde, I like ninjas not thugs, but I hate the feeling that one or two bad roles can kill off 250+ points of my Army.


Irnest the Wise(Rune Priest)

Redundancy! Redundancy! And redundancy! I guess I kind of build armies like an accountant, it may not be as flashy as bustin out Logan Grimnar, but an extra pack of Grey Hunters is hard to throw away!

Grayhart out, raise that hatchet!


No comments:

Post a Comment